Wellington, most people would say in Shropshire, but strictly in the County of The Wrekin, was awarded Walkers are Welcome status in June, 2010.
We have two aims, to promote the interests of local walkers in Wellington, and to promote Wellington to walkers elsewhere.
As well as belonging to the
national network of Walkers are Welcome towns we belong to a regional grouping of WaW towns in or adjacent to the Shropshire Hills AONB .
The AONB WaW towns have produced this leaflet.
Locally, as well as being represented on the Local Access Forum and getting involved in physical path work, we organise 2 walks a month and an annual walking festival.
- Our next regular path maintenance session is on Thursday November 30th see here for more details and here
for some recent improvements by the Council and by us.
- Our next regular walk is on Sunday December 3rd and features a guest leader. See here for more details
- Latest News: ( see here for more details )
- We are part of a new group that will be keeping the Shropshire Way clear of litter and reporting any other problems encountered see
the group's Facebook page
- This leaflet has been produced by the Friends of Wellington Station to show what Wellington has to offer visitors.
- Walkers are Welcome is now 10 years old (in Wellington we joined in 2010). Our secretary attended the celebratory annual get together in Hebden Bridge in October. Hebden Bridge was chosen as the venue as that is where the concept originated,
- The 2017 Wellington Walking Festival (11th - 17th September 2017) is now over , see the Festival Page.
Thank you if you filled in our
very short survey form .
A summary of the results is contained in this Report of the 2017 Walking Festival .
- We are pleased to announce that the 2016
Wellington Walking Festival won the Community Event category in the Telford Active Lifestyles awards.The Wellington 360 project was a runner
up in the Healthy Spaces Project category.
- Added to the above, the Station Walkers' Information Notice Board was third in the ACORP Small Projects Award - Under £500 see here
- In early September the path maintenance team way-marked the Main Route of the Shropshire Way from Roddington to Little Wenlock, this was in time for the
launch of the main route on the Tuesday of the walking festival and for 2 of the festival walks that used the Shropshire Way , in total from Roddington to Ironbridge.
- The Wrekin Link is open again. The path team , using the new brush cutter, worked very hard on Thursday July 20th and again on October 5th and the path, from Wrockwardine Road (just after the white house on the right at the top of the first rise coming from Wellington) to Admaston is open again. See photos here .
Please use this path.
- Sunday Aug 6th. Malcom led a walk using the Shropshire Way to get to the Wrekin Link where the walkers admired the work done recently by the path maintenance team.
People asked Malcolm afterwards if he could make the route available, and so he has kindly supplied this:
- Thanks to the path team the paths over the recent open cast coal site West of New Works Lane have been cleared and way-marked. Please use these too.
- Sunday July 2nd Walk and AGM This was a short local walk touring 2 gardens in Wellington that belong to the committee and finishing with tea and cake and the AGM in a garden in Leegomery Rd.
Here are the papers, including last year's and this year' s minutes.
- Annual Reports Walkers are Welcome Towns have to produce an annual report to maintain their status. We have decided to publish our reports
- Annual Report 2016
. Please take a look to see the range of activities we have undertaken in the past year.
We have now had very good feedback from our monitor
- Annual Report 2015
. Please take a look to see the range of activities we undertook in 2015.
We have now had very good feedback from our monitor
Our constitution talks about members, but says that we cannot charge a membership fee.
We had never had members as such, we have loosely regarded people who come on any of our activities as members, this includes our email list.
At the June 2015 committee meeting, we decided we would also introduce the concept of Patrons. These may, or may not, be walkers or members of the path maintenance group, but would be individuals who wished to further the aims of Wellington Walkers are Welcome.
The Information leaflet
explains this further.
- Badges for Sale . We now have badges for sale (50p), here is the design , and here is the badge. The aim is to get the logo around the town and the local area.
- Paths, rights of way. We have established a practical working group to tackle small scale problems on our local paths. Applications to join are very welcome.
- Wellington Walking Festivals This page now has the dates for the 2018 festival (10th - 16th September 2018), details of the 2107 festival for reference and links to information about our 2012-2016 festivals.
- Walking locally, including guided and self-led walks. Includes links to our walking leaflets.
- Information about Wellington
- Photos Latest: 2017 Walking Festival, Smalley Hill, Spring Festival, The walking notice board, Wrekin 360 views and launch, and Various path maintenance shots.
- Please visit our supporting businesses page.
- About us Including a leaflet about the group and our constitution.
| The Wrekin
|| Apley Wood
We are members of the Ramblers Walking Holidays (now RWH Travel) walking partnership see here
Wellington Walkers are Welcome
This page has been prepared by
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee.
This is an ad hoc group of interested local walkers. We are not a party political organisation;
we have supporters of a range of political parties, and none, on our management committee who work effectively together.
The inspiration for the
group came from a combination
of Wellington LA21 group and
Wellington Town Council without whose help this would not have been possible.
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee
contact us or email email@example.com
Last updated 27th November 2017