Wellington, most people would say in Shropshire, but strictly in the County of The Wrekin, was awarded Walkers are Welcome status in June, 2010.
We have two aims, to promote the interests of local walkers in Wellington, and to promote Wellington to walkers elsewhere.
As well as belonging to the
national network of Walkers are Welcome towns we belong to a regional grouping of WaW towns in or adjacent to the Shropshire Hills AONB .
The AONB WaW towns have produced this leaflet.
Locally, as well as being represented on the Local Access Forum and getting involved in physical path work, we organise 2 walks a month and an annual walking festival.
- Latest News: ( see here for more details )
- We are contributing 2 walks to the Wellington Spring Festival which is being held from 7th-10th April 2017. More details here .
- The WaW group in Ironbridge have published the programme for the 2017 Ironbridge Walking Festival (held in late April and May) , see www.ironbridgewalking.co.uk
- The dates for the 2017 Wellington Walking Festival have been announced as September 11th to 17th 2017. Planning will begin in earnest very soon.
- Our next regular walk is on Sunday February 19th - see here for more details
- Our next path maintenance session is on Thursday February 16th see here for more details and here
for some recent improvements by the Council and by us.
- We are working on a leaflet of walks to the North of the town. This is part of a longer project called Wellington 360.
Here are first goes at the routes of the 5 walks,
They will all start and finish in the Square
The route is here
- Admaston The route is here
- Dothill The route is here and
a shot of the new henge is here
- Apley The approximate route is here
- The Guillotine locks at Hadley Park and the Hurley Brook. The route is here and
a couple of shots of Turnip Lock are here
- 2016 Festival Photographic Competition The photos show what a variety of scenery we have and what activities are possible in our corner of the world, and also what talented photographers we have.
The winner is Malcolm Skelton for a photograph of a deer taken on the Spring around the Wrekin walk. They must have been a very quiet group , at that point at least.
The entries that received votes are here.
- There was a consultation on the future of the Shropshire Way, currently this goes through the edge of Wellington, from Powder Lane through to Christine Avenue. We would like to keep it Wellington on the route.
- Our 6th AGM was held on Sunday 12th June, it was preceeded by a short walk and tea and cake. The papers, including the minutes, are all accessible from
the news page.
- In 2016 we produced a newsletter about the various things happening this summer, a pdf version is here
- In 2016 we revised the information leaflet about the group which now includes a membership form, a pdf version is here
- Annual Reports Walkers are Welcome Towns have to produce an annual report to maintain their status. We have decided to publish our reports
- Annual Report 2016
. Please take a look to see the range of activities we have undertaken in the past year.
- Annual Report 2015
. Please take a look to see the range of activities we undertook in 2015.
We have now had very good feedback from our monitor
Our constitution talks about members, but says that we cannot charge a membership fee.
We had never had members as such, we have loosely regarded people who come on any of our activities as members, this includes our email list.
At the June 2015 committee meeting, we decided we would also introduce the concept of Patrons. These may, or may not, be walkers or members of the path maintenance group, but would be individuals who wished to further the aims of Wellington Walkers are Welcome.
The Information leaflet
explains this further.
- Badges for Sale . We now have badges for sale (50p), here is the design , and here is the badge. The aim is to get the logo around the town and the local area.
- Paths, rights of way. We have established a practical working group to tackle small scale problems on our local paths. Applications to join are very welcome.
- Wellington Walking Festivals This page now just has the dates for the 2017 festival (11th - 17th September 2017), and links to information about our 2012-2016 festivals.
- Walking locally, including guided and self-led walks
- Information about Wellington
- Map of walks on the Wrekin and Ercall. Wellington Town Council's double sided leaflet (warning 3.5MB download), featuring Wellington's history and the town centre map on one side and some local walks on the other.
- Postcard showing the walks above.
- Photos Latest: Wrekin 360 views, Various path maintenance shots, the advertising stall and the Steeraway diversion and Coalbrookdale walks.
- Please visit our supporting businesses page.
- About us Including a leaflet about the group and our constitution.
| The Wrekin
|| Apley Wood
Wellington Walkers are Welcome
This page has been prepared by
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee.
This is an ad hoc group of interested local walkers. We are not a party political organisation;
we have supporters of a range of political parties, and none, on our management committee who work effectively together.
The inspiration for the
group came from a combination
of Wellington LA21 group and
Wellington Town Council without whose help this would not have been possible.
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee
contact us or email email@example.com
Last updated 8th February 2017