Back to Wellington Walkers are Welcome
Back to the main news page
News from 2014
- Sunday December 21st 2014. Betty led this walk in Lawley. Here is the route of the walk.
- Path clearing success. In November the working party cleared the section of the Wrekin Link path from Admaston alongside the railway line to the fields below Wrockwardine Road. As this before photo shows parts were completely impassable. Although there is still room for improvement, it is now walkable, as the Wellington WalkaboutWrekin (Walking for Health) group showed on 10th December. Here is the group in the same spot.
We also walked the path on January 4th. See here.
- Sunday December 7th 2014. Kevin led an interesting exploration of the Ercall that ascended onto the ridge 3 times. Here is the route
- Sunday November 16th 2014. Pools, Ponds and a Lake. Bob led this new, fairly flat, route taking in as many bodies of water to the North of the town as possible in the time.
Here is the route of the walk.
- The 2015 Wellington Walking Festival will run from September 14th to September 20th. The full programme will be announced in the Spring. We hope to keep the favourites from the previous 3 festivals and add some new twists.
- Sunday November 2nd 2014. Kevin led a walk up to Limekiln Woods and then across towards New Works, returning through Short Woods.
- The Walkers are Welcome national get together was in Chepstow on the weekend of 18th/19th October.
Naomi was our representative. Here is a photo of our contribution to the banner in place.
34 squares in all were received, here are some more.
- Sunday October 19th 2014. Regular walk. Betty lead this walk from Wrockwardine. Here is the route. The new Shropshire Way road signs are now in place in Wrockwardine.
- Sunday October 5th 2014. Regular walk. Lime kiln woods and around the Ercall. Here is the route .
- At our committee meeting on 30th September we decided that our next Walking Festival will be in mid to late September 2015. Exact dates to be announced in early November.
- Sunday September 21st 2014. Instead of our regular walk we walked up to and joined Hands Around The Wrekin
The event happened at 1 pm, so we set out at promptly at 11.30 am. from the leisure centre. We used the standard route up but returned via the alternative route.
- Sunday September 7th 2014. Regular walk. Naomi led this walk , encompassing both the trundle which now goes from Lawley to New Works Lane, and 2 of the crossings of the ex coal site, the views of the Wrekin from the top route and in the Ketley direction from the middle route were very good.
Here is the route (plus a small part of the car ride, sorry). The out and back at the North West corner was to visit the old lime kilns as several of the walkers had not seen them.
There are 2 pictures on the album page and on our facebook page.
- Betty has made a square to represent Wellington on a quilt being made for the national get-together in October, here it is.
- September 2014. The path maintenance group have been busy clearing the re-routed Shropshire Way around Wrockardine.
- Sunday August 17th 2014. Regular walk. Kevin led a walk to the Bratton area.
- Sunday August 3rd 2014. Regular walk. Kevin led a local walk in the Ercall/limekiln area.
- In early July the path maintenance group cleared the route that runs from Tan Bank to New Church Road behind Roseway. In August they cleared the path that runs from Mill Lane to Waterloo Road.
- Sunday July 20th 2014. Regular walk. Dorothy led a walk to Apley Woods, returning via Leegomery.
- Sunday July 6th 2014. Betty led a walk to the Bratton/Dothill area.
- Our third Wellington Walking Festival was held on June 16th - 22nd. We had 25 events /walks including evening events and our AGM. Please see the Festival page
- The Walking Festival started in earnest on Monday (16th June) , we had an enjoyable pre-festival walk on Sunday 15th . To whet your appetite there are some photos of the trundle on the album page.
- The Geocache challenge sheet for the festival has been published. It is here (.pdf), or
- Festival bookings are coming is steadily, Nordic walking is nearly full. Please book now to avoid disappointment. Although bookings are coming in steadily, a couple of the events may have to be cancelled due to a very low number of bookings. If you have been intending to book, please do so now. Thanks.
- Sunday June 1st 2014. Regular walk. Emrys led a walk to the old rifle range on the side of the Wrekin.
- Regrettably we have had to cancel 3 of the festival events due to low bookings. Please see the Festival page . Bookings are open for other events.
- The festival program is now fully on the website. Please see the Festival page
- Sunday May 18th 2014. Regular walk. Naomi led a walk to the Ercall and Limekiln.
- New Walking Website . We have been told about Passion for Walking a freshly launched Walking website. Apparently, it was felt after researching locally, and looking on the internet, that something new, exciting, fun, interactive, and above all informative, was needed for people interested in Walking, and to get people interested in Walking.
At present covering Wales, and adjoining Counties, there's an Events page, not only for Walking Events, but local interest events too. Where to visit, stay, eat, and shop locally, giving local Businesses good opportunity for advertising. Adverts will be linked into other pages, such as Routes (Where to Walk), and the Events page, making it easy for anyone visiting site to plan a holiday, weekend away, or day trip. Currently there seems to be very little there, but we wish them well.
- Bank Holiday Sunday May 4th 2014. Kevin led a walk to the North of the town.
- Easter Sunday April 20th 2014. Regular walk. Betty led a walk taking in the Trench pools.
We met outside Wellington Leisure centre at 2 pm as usual, then drove in shared cars to Trench. Here is where we went.
- The programme for the Walking Festival June 16th-22nd is now available from various local outlets, also an advertising poster has been prepared. The festival programme now includes our AGM. Please see the Festival page .
- Sunday April 6th 2014. Regular walk. Betty led a walk to the foot of the Wrekin, via Cluddley, returning via the shoulder of the Ercall.
- Thursday March 20th, Shropshire Hills Walkers are Welcome Wrekin Spring Gathering.
Representatives from all local Walkers are Welcome towns, and from towns and villages planning to join the network or to organise a walking festival attended this day. The day combined workshops and a walk plus an optional evening meal. Most of the day was at the Buckatree Hall hotel, with tea in the King Street Cafe in Wellington. The day was very successful. There was an account in the Telford Journal and there are several photgraphs on our facebook page and on the album page.
- March 2014. Programme of events for the 2014 festival revealed as a pdf (revised version) , also an advertising poster has been prepared.
- Sunday March 16th 2014. Naomi led a walk in Limekiln wood. Here is where we went. She used it as most of the last day of a sponsored walk of 5 miles a day for 7 days for Care International see Walk In Her Shoes
- With a week to go, Updated Information Sheet and Booking form published for the Shropshire Hills Walkers are Welcome Wrekin Spring Gathering that we are hosting on March 20th 2014.
- Sunday March 2nd 2014. Kevin led a walk to the Ercall .
- A map to the waymarks on the Ercall and Limekiln Woods has been published see Wrekin Forest Trails facebook group
- Wellington LA21 group have a new website . They are about to publish a new booklet on a "Walk around the Wrekin".
- Sunday February 16th 2014. Naomi led a 'hop' to a walk in Telford Town Park. Here is where we went.
- Sunday February 2nd 2014. Betty led a walk to Apley and the old guillotine lock near Hadley Park.
Here is where we went. There are two photographs on the on the album page.
- January 20th Full Information Sheet and Booking form published for the Shropshire Hills Walkers are Welcome Wrekin Spring Gathering on Thursday March 20th which we are hosting.
- Sunday January 19th 2014 Naomi led a 'hop' to a walk to Little Dawley. Here is where we went. We retreated from one very muddy path and went a slightly longer way past the Cheshire Cheese.
- January 2014, our footpath secretary attended the Local Access Forum and was able to obtain assurances that a route from Mill Lane to cycle route 81 will remain clear despite the recent fencing work.
- Sunday January 5th 2014
Betty led a walk to Bratton, returning via Tee Lake.
- See previous walks page for details of our earlier Sunday walks
- Photos of many of our walks are
on our album page .
Back to Wellington Walkers are Welcome
Wellington Walkers are Welcome
This page has been prepared by
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee.
This is an ad hoc group of interested local walkers. We are not a party political organisation;
we have supporters of a range of political parties, and none, on our management committee who work effectively together.
The inspiration for the
group came from a combination
of Wellington LA21 group and
Wellington Town Council without whose help this would not have been possible.
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee
contact us or email email@example.com
Last updated 17th November 2016