Back to Wellington Walkers are Welcome
If you wish to join our path maintenance group please contact our path maintenance group organiser beforehand on pathTeam@wellingtonwalkersarewelcome.org.uk.
He will send you the necessary registration form to enable you to join the Telford and Wrekin Council Volunteer Scheme.
if you wish to talk to us about other footpath relateed matters please contact our path secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next working parties
- TBA Path maintenance group working party . Some or all of
- The 'boardwalk' path from Christine Avenue and the path it leads to alongside the M54,
- The entrance to the Ercall from Golf Links Lane, just past the M54
- The short stretch of path around the corner of the Golf Course close to the M54,
- The path from Waterloo Road past the 'new' Old Hall School to Mill Lane,
- The path from Whitchurch Drive crossing Kingfisher Way to Grainger Drive by the back entrance to the Princess Royal Hospital.
We are now the proud posessors of a brush cutter. Bob and Malcolm have been on the course . There are some photos of the result's of its recent uses here.
Things are definitely getting better on our paths. More signs , more clearances and, crucially, more walkers.
See the paths section of the album page for some recent improvements by the Council and by us.
- Thursday August 17th : The alleyway from Tan Bank to New Church Road, also the short path at the end of Woodlands Avenue to the playing field. Please publicise that these paths are easily passable again.
- Thursday August 3rd: The path from the bottom of Bratton Lane, across the back of Moor Farm, to Cheshire Coppice Lane. The broken fence has been repaired and so it was safe for us to clear the path,
including the stiles. See some photos here
- Thursday July 20th : The Wrekin Link again. The path team , using the new brush cutter, worked very hard and the path, from Wrockwardine Road (just after the white house on the right at the top of the first rise coming from Wellington) to Admaston is open again. See photos here .
Please use this path.
- Thursday July 6th : Short Woods. Thanks to the path team the paths over the recent open cast coal site West of New Works Lane have been cleared and way-marked. Please use these too.
- Thursday June 29th : Short Woods/ Ex Open Cast site . Thanks to our efforts the path that joins the 2 exits from Short Woods and runs just outside the ex-coal site boundary is now easily passable.
- Thursday June 15th : Short Woods/ Ex Open Cast site .
- Wednesday June 7th : We assisted the Telford and East Shropshire Ramblers in Short Woods. There is a photo here
- Thursday June 1st : Short Woods/ Ex Open Cast site .
- Thursday May 18th : Short Woods/ Ex Open Cast site , also Lime Kiln Woods with the Shropshire Wild Team.
- Thursday April 20th : The Wrekin Link and the path heading south from Admaston Orchard.
- Thursday April 6th : The Wrekin Link
- Thursday March 30th : Rushmoor area with the new brushcutter, also Lime Kiln Woods with the Shropshire Wild Team.
- Thursday March 16th : Rushmoor area.
- Thursday January 19th, February 16th 2017 : Dothill LNR at the request of the Friends group. There are photos here
- Thursdays September 8th, October 6th, October 27th, November 17th, December 15th 2016 : Limekiln woods again.
- Thursday September 1st : Jointly with the Severn gorge Countryside trust. We tidied up the Wrekin Link for the festival (and others to enjoy). There are photos here
- Thursday Aug 25th : Limekiln Wood
- Thursday Aug 18th : Limekiln Wood
- Thursday Aug 11th : The path from Hollies Rd to Woodlands Avenue. Besides clearing it we used
Everyday Telford to get some fly-tipping removed.
- Thursday Aug 4th : Limekiln Wood
- Thursday July 28th : Dothill see the Dothill LNR facebook page .
- Thursday July 14th: We revisited the path behind Christine Avenue as it rises towards Ercall Lane. This was a much quicker and simpler job thn last time.
- Thursday June 30th : We revisited the Wrekin Link again, see some photos here.
- Thursday June 2nd : We continued (and finished) where we left off last time in clearing and litter-picking the path alongside Ercall Lane towards Forest Glen.
- Thursday May 19th : We were again working in Ercall Wood, alongside Ercall Lane.
- Monday May 9th : We were again working in Ercall Wood, alongside the motorway.
- Thursday April 21st: We were again working in Ercall Wood, near the motorway.
- Thursday April 7th 2016: We cleared and widened the footpath running into Ercall Woods from Golf Links Lane.
- Thursday March 17th 2016: We cleared and widened the path on the edge of the Wrekin Golf Course.
- Monday March 7th 2016: We cleared and widened the path on the edge of the Wrekin College Playing Fields towards Leegomery and tidied the path back towards Waterloo Rd
- Thursday 18th February 2016: We tidied up the new route of the Shropshire Way behind the Hollies Lane area. We also did a litter pick and reported some fly tipping, which has been dealt with. There were some impressive fungi on the trees.
- Thursday 28th January 2016: We held a special path maintenance group working party on the Wrekin Link , joint with Severn Gorge Countryside Trust. The Wrekin Link now looks very different, see some photos here
- Thursday 3rd December 2015: The path behind Christine Avenue as it rises towards Ercall Lane. This path had become decidedly scruffy of late and benefited from some pre-Xmas TLC.
- Thursday November 19th 2015: Tee Lake part 3. See here for a couple of photos.
- Monday November 2nd 2015: We continued the work, started on the 5th and 15th October, to clear the path around Tee Lake.
- Thursday October 15th 2015: We continued work on clearing the path around Tee Lake We made surprisingly rapid progresson the harder part. it is now possible to walk all around the lake again.
- Monday October 5th 2015: We started work on clearing the path around Tee Lake at the behest of the friends of Dothill. We made quite rapid progress, but the next part will be harder.
- Thursday Sept 10th 2015: We improved 3 paths that will be used in the festival, the Wrekin Link, the path from Tan Bank to New Church Rd and the path from Roseway to Holyhead Rd between the allotments and Sunnycroft.
- Thursday Aug 20th 2015: We tidied-up the Lawley to New Works section of the Trundle which we will be using during the Walking Festival.
- Monday Aug 3rd 2015: We worked on the embankments either side of the railway line on the Shropshire Way south of Allscott.
- Thursday July 16th 2015: We cleared some routes at Bratton.
- Thursday July 2nd 2015: Extra Session: At the request of local residents we cleared a route from the Wellington Link to the Wrockwardine Community Orchard.
- Thursday June 18th 2015: We worked on the new route of the Shropshire way from Sunnylands to the old Orleton Park site, and the stile leading to Wrekin link on Wrockwardine Rd.
- May 2015 (extra session):The Wrekin Link again
- May 2015 : Urban Wellington paths- Hollies Lane area, the back of Tan Bank and between the allotments and Sunnycroft.
- April 2015 :The Wrekin Link again
- March 2015 :A path leading to the Granville (to help the ASDA Walking for Health ( Walkabout Wrekin )groups)
- November 2014: Path clearing success. In November the working group cleared the section of the Wrekin Link path from Admaston alongside the railway line to the fields below Wrockwardine Road. As this before photo shows parts were completely impassable. Although there is still room for improvement, it is now walkable, as the Wellington WalkaboutWrekin (Walking for Health) group showed on 10th December. Here is the group in the same spot.
We also walked the path on January 4th. See here.
- October 2014: The Ramblers working group cleared the planned new route of the Shropshire way from Wrockwardine Rd to Powder Lane
- September 2014: The working group and the Ramblers cleared the planned new route of the Shropshire way in Wrockwardine
- August 2014: The working group has cleared the path that runs from Mill Lane to Waterloo Road. We are still open to new members.
- July 2014: The working group has re-cleared the path from Tan Bank to New Church Road.
- November 2013: The working group has now had training as has cleared the path from Tan Bank to New Church Road.
- August 2013: With the support of Telford and Wrekin council, we have established a practical working group to tackle small scale problems on our local paths. Applications to join are very welcome. Please contact our footpath secretary using this link.
- January 2013: We now have a seat on the Local Access Forum and an active footpath secretary who can bring up problems there.
Problems on the Local Paths
For Telford itself there is a new (as of 2014) phone number for reporting problems (01952 384384) and a new (as of 2013/2014) app which can be used to upload photgraphs.
See Everyday Telford.
- Grid ref SJ 63049 13716 Footpaths at Moor Farm, Bratton.
3 footpaths are marked on the map but none are evident or signposted. Reported in September 2011. This is now (October 2015) not as bad thanks to work by us and others.
- The signpost at GR650105 on Golf Links Lane is pointing in the wrong direction. Reported in June 2010.
- There are serious problems along the old route of the Shropshire Way from Burcotgate to Aston Farm. Reported June 2015.
- Summer 2017: Thanks to the path team the paths over the recent open cast coal site West of New Works Lane have been cleared and way-marked. Please use these paths.
- 2017: Home Farm, Apley. The landnowner now acknowledgesthe existence of the right of way. It is now clearly marked and well walked.
- In summer the Wrekin Link path from GR634125 at Admaston to GR636123 is overgrown and impassable. Reported in June 2010. We walked this, with a little difficulty, on our regular walk in November 2011.
Apparently the landowner has been asked to remove an obstruction near the Wrockwardine Road end. This is now (March 2012) passable, but not ideal. We greatly improved this in November 2014 and regularly since- please see above.
- There was a long history of problems with the newly rerouted Shropshire Way from GR SJ 639 118 to Sunnylands. ( See photo of field 8th August 2013 )It is now passable. The farmer had reinstated part of the path from this point towards the bridge. We hope we have now made it clear where to go, we have now (June 2015) also cleared from the edge of the crop to and over the bridge and the next field.
- It is impossible to follow the diverted footpath from Mill Lane, Wellington across Wrekin college land. Reported December 2011. Update
2014: Although this is still so, at a LAF in 2014 we received assurances that the college have no intention of blocking access for walkers travelling from Mill Lane to Leegomery along the eastern boundary of the playing fields leading to Cycle Route 81.
The new green fencing has been extended to the bottom corner of the playing fields to prevent access by motorbike riders. The college have installed a gate at the subway end for walkers to gain access to/from the field.
As we understand the situation, the college are quite happy for a permissive path to be established around the edge of the field but this move has been held up in the backlog of changes awaiting processing by Telford and Wrekin Council.
- In late summer the path from GR649107 is overgrown. Reported in September 2010. (We walked it easily on Jan. 2nd 2011) This was thoroughly cleared in 2011 but in July 2012 is now overgrown again. It is now , Decemeber 2013 passable again. We checked it in summer 2014, it is clear.
- On our regular walk on Sunday April 7th 2013 we visited the top of the Ercall and used parts of two of the walks on the postcard.
There were quite a few trees down, particularly on the section around the three mile point on our
route. Reported April 2013. This was quickly resolved by a combination of the Rambler's working party and Telford & Wrekin.
- There is an electric fence across the path on the newly rerouted Shropshire Way at GR SJ 639 118. Reported March 2012. Not there June 2012.
- There was a large tree down across the path by the Golf Club House, just North of the point where the Hutchison Way turns sharply right. It can be climbed over. Reported February 2012. Fixed in March 2012.
- Grid ref SJ 61093 13785 Footpath (Shropshire Way) at Isombridge Farm.
Bridleway sign but no footpath sign or Shropshire Way logos were evident. The way from the road to the river Tern through the farm is not at all clear. Reported September 2011. Now, June 2012 , clearer.
- There is a tree down over the footpath at GR654093 in Limekiln Wood. It is possible to duck under it if you are nimble but would prove to be a barrier for some people. Reported in November 2010. This is now clear.
If you find any obstructions or problems on our local paths please
tell us. We can't promise a speedy resolution, but the
more evidence we have of problems, the more pressure we can exert. We now have a seat on the Local Access Forum and an active footpath secretary who can bring up problems there.
|Wrekin Link Before
||Wrekin Link After
||... and in Jan 2016
Back to Wellington Walkers are Welcome
This page has been prepared by
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee.
This is an ad hoc group of interested local walkers. We are not a party political organisation;
we have supporters of a range of political parties, and none, on our management committee who work effectively together.
The inspiration for the
group came from a combination
of Wellington LA21 group and
Wellington Town Council without whose help this would not have been possible.
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee
Last updated 23rd August 2017