Wellington, most people would say in Shropshire, but strictly in the County of The Wrekin, was awarded Walkers are Welcome status in June, 2010.
We have two aims, to promote the interests of local walkers in Wellington, and to promote Wellington to walkers elsewhere.
As well as belonging to the
national network of Walkers are Welcome towns we belong to a regional grouping of WaW towns in or adjacent to the Shropshire Hills AONB .
The AONB WaW towns have produced this leaflet.
Locally, as well as being represented on the Local Access Forum and getting involved in physical path work, we organise 2 walks a month and an annual walking festival.
- Latest News: ( see here for more details )
- Advance notice - Sunday July 2nd Walk and AGM details to follow.
- Our next regular walk is on Sunday May 21st. This is a joint venture with FORGE Urban Revival - see here for more details
- Our next path maintenance session will be in June see here for more details and here
for some recent improvements by the Council and by us.
- Wellington News. There is a move to form a group to adopt Wellington Station, a document produced by the group is here. We were represented at their first meeting on May 2nd, it was a very promising start.
- The Shropshire Wildlife Trust Refreshments and Information Vehicle at Forest Glen is now (Easter 2017) open. It is currently open every Weds to Sunday from 10 am - 4 pm. They have a stock of our various leaflets. Please consider supporting them or even volunteering to do a shift there.
- We are now the proud posessors of a brush cutter. Bob and Malcolm have been on the course . There are some photos of the result's of its first use on Thursday 30th March here.
On the same day Bob and the Shropshire Wild team were active in Limekiln Woods, There are photos of this too.
- Wednesday April 5th - Launch of the Wrekin 360, Northern Walks and Wrockwardine Walks leaflets .
The leaflets were launched at the Walkabout Wrekin walk (2 pm outside Wellington Leisure Centre). This walk followed the Apley route.
Electronic copies are available by following the links above. There is a photo of the launch here
- We contributed 2 walks to the Wellington Spring Festival which was being held from 7th-10th April 2017.
- Monday April 10th - part of Wellington Spring Festival - Geology of The Ercall. This event started in Wellington Market Square and met
Andrew Jenkinson of the Shropshire Geological Society at the Ercall car park who led a tour
of the reserve and its internationally renowned quarry area.
- Saturday April 8th - part of Wellington Spring Festival - Exploring Dothill Local Nature Reserve . This walk followed the new circular walk from Wellington Market Square
which is one of the 5 "Wellington 360 - Northern Walks" . Whilst in Dothill LNR, the Friends group
gave a talk about the wildlife, history and features within the reserve. There is a photo here
- The new Walking notice board at Wellington railway station was opened by the mayor on March 23rd, there are some photos here
- The WaW group in Ironbridge have published the programme for the 2017 Ironbridge Walking Festival (held in late April and May) , see www.ironbridgewalking.co.uk
- The dates for the 2017 Wellington Walking Festival have been announced as September 11th to 17th 2017. Planning will begin in earnest very soon.
- Annual Reports Walkers are Welcome Towns have to produce an annual report to maintain their status. We have decided to publish our reports
- Annual Report 2016
. Please take a look to see the range of activities we have undertaken in the past year.
We have now had very good feedback from our monitor
- Annual Report 2015
. Please take a look to see the range of activities we undertook in 2015.
We have now had very good feedback from our monitor
Our constitution talks about members, but says that we cannot charge a membership fee.
We had never had members as such, we have loosely regarded people who come on any of our activities as members, this includes our email list.
At the June 2015 committee meeting, we decided we would also introduce the concept of Patrons. These may, or may not, be walkers or members of the path maintenance group, but would be individuals who wished to further the aims of Wellington Walkers are Welcome.
The Information leaflet
explains this further.
- Badges for Sale . We now have badges for sale (50p), here is the design , and here is the badge. The aim is to get the logo around the town and the local area.
- Paths, rights of way. We have established a practical working group to tackle small scale problems on our local paths. Applications to join are very welcome.
- Wellington Walking Festivals This page now just has the dates for the 2017 festival (11th - 17th September 2017), and links to information about our 2012-2016 festivals.
- Walking locally, including guided and self-led walks. Includes links to our walking leaflets.
- Information about Wellington
- Photos Latest: The walking notice board, Wrekin 360 views and launch, Various path maintenance shots, the advertising stall and the Steeraway diversion and Coalbrookdale walks.
- Please visit our supporting businesses page.
- About us Including a leaflet about the group and our constitution.
| The Wrekin
|| Apley Wood
Wellington Walkers are Welcome
This page has been prepared by
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee.
This is an ad hoc group of interested local walkers. We are not a party political organisation;
we have supporters of a range of political parties, and none, on our management committee who work effectively together.
The inspiration for the
group came from a combination
of Wellington LA21 group and
Wellington Town Council without whose help this would not have been possible.
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee
contact us or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 18th May 2017